Music Curriculum



Music Curriculum for Pre-K2

Music Curriculum for Kindergarten

Music Time
Alright, so this is one of the things I really wanted to do regularly, but it got put on the back burner.  I have a place where I keep props for fingerplays and songs.  I have written out the names of the songs on popsicle sticks for the kids to choose.  They love it.  It takes zero preparation.
Props for "The Wide-Mouthed Frog"

"Hurry, Hurry, Drive the Fire Truck"


They also love to dance or act out classical music, so I've been using this list from prekinders (Thanks, Sheri!) although I admit I did not move through it as I had hoped.  It is something to improve upon.  It might be something as simple as making the music more accessible on my phone so I'm reminded to play it during dinner preparations.  

Go In and Out the Window
Mom gave me this book for Christmas, and I've been using it to strengthen my bedtime-song repertoire:

Music?  Check.
Art? Check.
History? Check.
You've-had-your-song-now-go-to-bed!? Check.

Violin

We didn't start violin until March, so it's a little early to say how that's going.  I expect [C] to practice for about 15 minutes a day, and I invite [A] to practice while it's out of the case.  We really like it so far.  I am skimping on lessons for now and passing on what little I know.  Thanks to a helpful website from violinist.com full of video clips, I don't have to worry about curriculum for a while.  I differentiate between "practice" days and "lesson" days by making a rule that on practice days, I'm only allowed to praise them and I can't tell them what to do.  I'm hoping that encouraging self-led accountability will entice them to practice more.  Finally, my favorite thing about including this in our day is that I can justify pulling out my [long-lost] viola to steal 10 minutes of practice for myself.  I didn't realize how much I've missed it.  After two months of 10 minutes a couple times a week, I can play the first 8 Suzuki songs.  It's not much, but I am improving every time, and that is worth worlds as a mom who needs the occasional reminder that I have an identity of my own.  

My sister Kali gave us the most wonderful gift.  She made the doll a dress and found her a tiny violin with real pegs and horse hairs that has a music box hidden inside.  

Could they get any cuter?


“The fact that children can make beautiful music is less significant than the fact that music can make beautiful children.”
- Cherly Lavender

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts